POSITION: Director Transportation & Engineering Department/Project Manager
DEPARTMENT: Transportation & Engineering
STATUS: FULL-TIME (Part-Time considered)
RATE OF PAY: $80,000 + (DOE)
NATURE OF WORK:
Director of Transportation & Engineering Department:
This is professional and administrative work directing all aspects of the Transportation & Engineering Department. With total control over all activities, this person will manage, direct, supervise, and coordinate the overall operation of the Transportation & Engineering Department. Responsible for providing effective professional engineering leadership for construction projects. Oversees planning, design, and construction of new traffic and transportation, water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, drainage and storm water control, building and lighting, and airport infrastructure projects. Other responsibilities include oversight of paving and striping operations, review subdivision plans and construction plans, participate in site plan review, water and sewer tap applications, right-of-way permitting, and technical consulting to other departments. Responsible for managing and coordinating with other engineering or architectural firms providing service to City. Responsible for planning and implementing departmental budget and recommending capital improvements.
This position is accountable for all monetary, fiscal, budgetary, safety, and legal issues related to the Transportation & Engineering Department.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Knowledge of engineering principles, practices, and methods related to infrastructure projects
- Knowledge of municipal, state, and federal laws and ordinances/codes applicable to department operations
- Makes decisions on design, construction and adequacy of City infrastructure; determines compliance of construction work; identifies needs and options for improvements
- Ability to communicate effectively, either orally or in writing, to make major decisions and presentations to other groups or assemblies.
- Knowledge of general function of municipal government and accounting
- Knowledge of state and federal grant funding related to funding, reporting and application
- Ability to instruct subordinates in the proper office and field work methods and to review their work.
- Possesses education and experience related to the areas of Engineering and Project Management
- Provides input into the development of proposals and contracts in his/her area of expertise or management responsibility.
- Responsible for the financial success of assigned projects.
- Performs calculations, Designs, Prepares reports, opinions and recommendations
- May serve in the field actively during construction.
- Plans, schedules, conducts or coordinates detailed phases of the work assigned.
- Performs other related duties as they may arise in the scope of the Engineering Department area.
The Director of Transportation & Engineering may supervise or coordinate work of contractors, interns, technicians, staff, or other professionals. This position supervises Traffic Maintenance, MPO, Mass Transit, GIS, and the Engineering Division.
This position must be capable of independently performing most assignments with instructions as
to the general results expected. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Bachelor’s degree in area of specialty and five
years’ acceptable experience; or a Masters Degree and three years’ experience preferred.
Experience as a Project Manager preferred.
Applicants must complete a City of Hattiesburg Job Application; and provide resume, any applicable certifications, degrees, and other related documentation.